Thriving in The Betweens
Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. -Albert Einstein
To describe this time as difficult is an understatement for most, yet within it lies a surplus of serendipities and loads of lessons. I am grateful to experience this firsthand learning from artists that I would not have access to if it weren’t for the pandemic. Two of these awesome artists are Spenser Theberge and Jermaine Spivey.
The Betweens was a fantastic and engaging work created by Spenser Theberge and Jermaine Spivey for L.A. Dance Project based on the current condition of this world because of COVID, the political climate and more. I am excited to share this rich conversation as we discuss creating this wonderful work, navigating through the unpredictable and the what has inspired them as people and as artists.
Some key takeaways from Spenser and Jermaine:
- Discovering and working with dancers as people first
- Being flexible with the twists and turns of COVID that affected the creation and timing of their work
- Conflict resolution can be approached differently but still arrive at a common place.
- Dance and technique are not separate.
- Inspiration can come from anywhere.
Links from this session:
Would you review The DancePreneuring Studio?
I would be extremely appreciative if you would subscribe and leave your feedback on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher Radio. It really helps if you do it through the native Apple Podcast App on your smart device. Thanks so much!